Child Parent Relationship Therapy (CPRT)
You are reaching out, looking for help and resources, because you are concerned about your child. Maybe your child is acting out with tantrums—screaming, yelling, falling to the floor, refusing to accept “No” or behaving aggressively toward others. Maybe your child seems sad or anxious, spending way too much time sleeping or playing online games. You may have concerns about your child going back and forth between two households or some other circumstance in your child’s life.
Whatever the exact situation is with your child, play therapy can solve the problems that have you worried—particularly if your child is age ten or below.
What may surprise you is that when parents are trained by a play therapist to lead the play sessions themselves in their own homes, children make even faster, more profound, and lasting progress than they do with an actual play therapist! It is true!
You can learn how to have these special healing play times with your child by enrolling in the Child Parent Relationship Therapy (CPRT) program. In the special play times, you will respond to your child exactly the way a licensed, fully trained play therapist would respond in a real play therapy session. CPRT is designed so that you can access the course from the comfort of your home at a time that is convenient to you. Then once a week, we will meet online so that I can answer any questions you may have and give feedback to you on your play sessions.
Your child benefits in multiple ways! In play sessions with you, your child gets “better”- just as he or she would with the play therapist. You, as the parent, learn a variety of new tools that you can add to your parent toolbox. Of just as much importance, the relationship you have with your child is greatly enhanced. Instead of becoming consumed with only the challenges you are now facing, you are reminded of all the qualities about your child that you love and enjoy, and these become central to the relationship you have with your child.
Imagine how that would feel—to be empowered yourself with all you need to help your child right there in your home!
This parent training course has been validated by many studies, and the research supports that parents are actually MORE EFFECTIVE than play therapists when they are committed and consistently use the CPRT skills and strategies they are taught to use in the play sessions.
Parents from around the globe, including London, South Africa, the U.S. and Norway, are singing the praises of CPRT. These are a few of their comments:
- Using my skills daily and forever thankful to you and what you have made known to me in the realm of parenting!
- This week we were going to dinner with my parents and grandparents and I remembered that I need to be a thermostat, not a thermometer. It was the most pleasant restaurant experience I’ve had with my boys because of what I learned through this training!
- I have to say using A-C-T outside of the play session has worked tremendously in our home! It was so amazing to see this at work in our every-day life! Thank you so much for this skill! It has definitely changed the dynamic for the better in our house!
- I’m starting to use the CPR-T techniques and tools more and more in every-day situations and I amazed! It even works well with my almost-2 year old.
- I am amazed at how my son has responded to my use of reflective responding. It encourages me and empowers me to continue using this skill.
- Thank you again for sharing play therapy techniques with parents around the globe! You can be so proud of the positive change it makes in so many kids’ and parents’ lives!
If you still aren’t sure, I encourage you to give me a call to schedule a free initial parent consultation so that we can discuss CPRT and other options, with the goal of finding the best fit for your child and your family. The number is 727.222.5667, or email me at .